One of the techniques that has been known in the world of hairdressing for several years is the tattoo technique for the beauty of facial features, drawing on body parts and so on. Today we want to talk about eye tattoo and its dangers & side effects. we provide you with information in this regard.
Eye tattoo, also known as a Scleral tattooing, is one of the most permanent tattoos you can get on your body. This tattoo is done to change the color or draw patterns on the whites of the eyes. Which can lead to irreparable dangers. The American Optometric Association (AOA), in turn, condemned the practice! Saying it puts patients at risk for infection, inflammation and blindness.
In fact, it is not as if you want to get a small star tattoo design on your wrist. This is the most permanent body change you can do. Because there is no way you can get the ink out of your eyes. So, if you have decided to do this, you must be sure that you accept all the risks and will not regret it in the future. In the following, we will talk more about this type of body tattoo and its risks and side effects.
Small Hand Tattoos in a variety of luxury models for those who want to have a girls’ hands design tattoos ideas.
We suggest that if you are one of those people who are very interested in tattooing your body parts, especially your eyes, join Zhinmag to the end of this article.
What is a tattoo?
In order to better and more easily understand the meaning of the tattoo inside the eye, we need to make a very small reference to the question, what is a tattoo?
In simple terms, tattoos can be defined as the fact that by placing colored materials of foreign origin under the skin, color changes are created. To do this, more colors such as brown, black and green are used.
Did you know that the color you choose for your rose tattoo design will also change the meaning of your design?
Types of medical tattoos
Tattoo, like other permanent and semi-permanent makeup techniques, has different types with various applications. In the following, we will refer to medical applications and give a brief description of each of them.
Lip tattoo: Lip tattoo is actually a treatment for defects in people who have lost their lip line at birth. For example, those people who have Harelip. They can use this method to beautify their lips and get a lip line tattoo after solving their problem in principle.
Eyebrow tattoo: Eyebrow tattoos, like eyebrow microblading and other permanent and semi-permanent makeup techniques, are used to shape and beautify eyebrows.
This method is also a treatment method for those who have completely lost their eyebrows due to various diseases and due to chemotherapy. Or people with very low back and colorless eyebrows.
Eye tattoo: Eye tattoo are also used to remove defects such as drooping eyes, drooping eyelids, injuries and so on.
What is an eye tattoo? Scleral tattooing
So far, have you figured out what a tattoo is? And you got to know the types. Now we want to talk to you about the tattoo inside the eye and the dangers of tattoo in the eye.
Eye tattoo is a term used to describe the permanent whitening of the eyes. This is done by injecting ink with a needle under a very thin layer of skin called the conjunctiva, which covers the whites of our eyes, at several points. The ink spreads gently from these points, covering the entire scleral. This procedure is performed by only a few tattoo artists around the world. It is permanent and irreversible.
History of eye tattoo
- Galen, was the first to mention corneal tattoos.
- Etius in 450 AD, cauterize the corneal surface with a heated stilet. And then apply the dye to the eye made of powdered nutgalls and iron.
- In 1869, Louis Von Wecker invented the new method. He anesthetize the eye with cocaine and cover it with a thick layer of ink. And then inject the ink into the cornea by piercing the cornea with a grooved needle.
- Intraocular tattoos were also influenced by this and were first invented by Luna Cobra in 2007.
- The American, who performs body reshaping surgeries such as splitting the tongue, first injected ink on the whites of the eyes of three volunteers.
- Unfortunately, the number of applicants for this type of tattoo is increasing! But even Luna Cobra does not recommend it to anyone and believes that it should be declared illegal.
Who is a tattoo suitable for?
Of course, this is not to say that tattoos are not important! For example, in people with lip defects such as Harelip or Cleft lip, tattooing can be used to repair the lip line, after the treatment of the main defect.
In addition, the person may have a defect due to an accident, burn, injury, surgery, etc., which can be coeerected using a tattoo. Even eyebrow tattoos have therapeutic applications for people who have lost their eyebrows for various reasons or have a congenital defect. The most obvious examples of this are patients who have lost their eyebrows due to chemotherapy.
On the other hand, eye tattoo can be used to eliminate defects such as drooping eyes, drooping eyelids, injuries and so on. But the problem is: More than 90% of tattoos are done in hairdressing salons without sanitary arrangements and doctor’s supervision! And it has terrible consequences.
What are the dangers of eye tattoo? Eye tattoo?! Yes or No.
Unfortunately, these days, many women decide to get eyeliner tattoos on their eyes in order to relieve themselves of eye makeup! Which can have many side effects.
The main problem is that the hairdresser who does this has no knowledge of the structure of the eye and its sensitive tissues! And this sometimes causes eye tissue damage when the needle is inserted into the back of the eyelid. Sometimes, if the needle is inserted too deep into the eyelid tissue, it will cause the eyelid to rupture and damage the eye tissues. Inserting tattoo color into the eye can also cause eye sensitivity.
Many people have allergic reactions after getting an eye tattoo. In general, this type of allergy occurs with moderate to severe swelling of the eyelids, redness and itching of the eyes. These problems cannot be treated without medical intervention.
Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (RANZCO) consider eye tattooing a risky procedure. They recommend that this technique be done by a specialist only when prescribed by a doctor, such as certain eye abnormalities. RANZCO advises you to avoid eyeball tattoos for cosmetic purposes. As it can have irreparable consequences for you.
There are many potential health risks to getting an eye tattoo. These risks range from mild side effects such as eye irritation to severe risks such as blindness.
The known risks of this type of tattoo include the following, but are not limited to:
- Eye perforation that can lead to blindness (sclera thickness less than one millimeter)
- Retinal detachment (emergency medical problem that may cause the patient to become blind)
- Endophthalmitis (infection inside the eye that can lead to blindness)
- Sympathetic eye (an autoimmune inflammatory reaction that affects both eyes and can lead to blindness)
- Transmission of blood-borne viruses (eg, hepatitis B, C, and HIV) from equipment that has not been properly cleaned
- Bleeding and infections at the injection site
- Delays in the diagnosis of diseases, because the sclera is not seen in its true color (for example, jaundice is often the first sign of many diseases)
- Adverse reactions to inks
- Sensitivity to light
- Coloration of the surrounding tissue due to the transfer of ink
The long-term risks of this tattoo are still unknown. It is important to note that common techniques for removing skin tattoos are unlikely to be used on the scleral tattooing. Therefore, it is probably impossible to remove the eye tattoo.
Can tattoos be removed inside the eye?
Considering the items that have been provided to you in the above contents, it is undoubtedly a question for you whether the tattoo inside the eye can be removed like an eyebrow tattoo or a lip line tattoo or not?!
Well, we have to say that it may be possible to do this with medical technology! But it is not a simple and easy task at all, and it is also very costly.
Unfortunately, in most cases it is completely impossible to remove tattoo pigments inside the eye.
It is also important to know that if this is not done properly, there will be serious potential risks to the eyes and the skin around your eyes.
Take these recommendations seriously
Here are some preventative tips for people who want to get an eye tattoo.
- Before getting a tattoo, consult your dermatologist who is aware of your skin history.
- Make sure that the tattoo ink is standard and sterile and that the needle is disposable.
- Getting a hepatitis B vaccine before getting a tattoo also reduces your chances of getting an infectious disease.
- After the tattoo, you should disinfect the skin with antibiotic creams or keep it covered with a dressing for a while.
- Do not expose yourself to direct sunlight until the wounds have partially healed and be sure to use sunscreen.
- Of course, get rid of the idea of a dangerous eyeliner tattoo forever, which is very dangerous and full of side effects.
Frequently asked questions about eye tattoo
1- Who invented eyeball tattoo? In what year was the eye tattoo first invented?
It was first invented by Luna Cobra in 2007.
2- Is eye tattoo painful?
The pain of an eye tattoo is so severe that you cannot imagine it. It feels like a very hot needle is inserted into your eye. You must be careful not to move your eyes when the needle enters the sclera. Because the scleral membrane is thin and tears easily.
3- How long do eye tattoos last?
between 8 and 18 months
3- Can eye tattoo be removed? What methods can be used to remove tattoos inside the eyes?
Unfortunately, we can say that eye tattoo is permanent and non-reversible. The common techniques for skin and eyebrow tattoo removal cannot be used to remove eye tattoos. Therefore, it is probably impossible to remove the tattoo inside the eye.