Horiatiki peasant salad is a must-have side dish at every Greek household or restaurant dinner. This salad is our favorite since it’s both tasty and heart-healthy!
Nutrients, vitamins, fiber, and proteins are all included in this meal, which is very low in calories. Also, it’s quick and simple to put together, taking no more than 10 minutes!
What is Horiatiki?
Delicious Experience With Horiatiki Peasant Salad
One of those foods that transports you to the balmy islands of Greece is Peasant Salad. This summertime salad is packed with fresh, seasonal ingredients that can be served as a main meal or as a side dish to grilled meats and vegetables.
This Peasant Salad is a riff on the Greek Horiatiki salad, which is a favorite of many chefs. It appears as though every region of the world has its own twist on savor-worthy cuisine made with seasonal, locally sourced ingredients. In fact, they’re simple to put together, cheap to create, and a hit with the whole family.
Things that make this exceptional salad include:
- 30 Minute Dinner: A delicious meal which is prepared in less than 30 minutes.
- Ingredients are simple: they are all available in your pantry or in your garden.
- Family-friendly: Because this salad is lively, fresh, and tasty, your whole family will enjoy it.
- Quick to adapt: You may prepare it using the ingredients you already have on hand or change it to suit your family’s preferences.
- Excellent Leftovers: Although best served fresh, leftovers are very delicious the following day.
What Does Horiatiki Mean?
‘Horiatiki,’ a salad popular in Athens and across Greece, has a peculiar origin. However, when the name was originally adopted –probably in the 1960s or early 1970s– the nation was urgently attempting to leave its rural, Eastern Mediterranean heritage and become urbanized and European. Nowadays, the term is a welcoming suggestion since it reminds people of real, high-quality salad.
It was popular to criticize a garment or a way of conduct as ‘Horiatiki,’ which meant that it was out of date and unworthy of the newly emerging urban middle class.
How To Prepare Horiatiki Peasant Salad?
Although you may have seen many different varieties of this salad, the authentic traditional Greek salad is created just from the components stated in the following section.
Actually, if you’re fortunate enough to have a Greek/Mediterranean supermarket in your neighborhood, you can discover fantastic ingredients that have been imported directly from Greece! However, if you can’t find what you’re looking for, most big grocery shops have a range of similar ingredients.
- 1 cucumber
- 1 medium red onion
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 green pepper
- 2 tsp dried Greek oregano
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- splash red wine vinegar optional
- 6-ounce block of feta cheese or more to your taste
- 2 tbsp capers
- Rinse and dry all of the vegetables before beginning to prepare them.
- Then, cucumbers, onions, and green peppers should be peeled and sliced into quarter-inch rounds.
- Cut the tomatoes into little slices in a big bowl and place them over the basin to capture all the juices.
- Add the kalamata olives and oregano.
- Gently mix the salad with a drizzle of olive oil and a splash of vinegar
- Just before serving, sprinkle the salad with feta cheese.
- Toss the capers and oregano over the feta.
- If you want to soak up all the delicious juices, serve on a crusty whole-wheat sandwich loaf.